The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette correct all errors of fact. If you see an error in this article, please call the city desk at 843-706-8139. Corrections and clarifications will appear in this space.
Web sites may link directly to search results and individual articles without permission.
Up to one paragraph of text may be included from an article as long as full attribution is given and the attribution links back to the full article.
To republish more than one paragraph of text, please contact us for permission.
Customers at the Walmart on U.S. 278 in Hardeeville were evacuated just before noon on Sunday after store managers noticed smoke in the deli area, according to the Hardeeville Fire Department.
The smoke was not from a fire but from a microwave that short-circuited on a metal counter, Hardeeville Fire Chief Dan Morgan said.
Firefighters arrived and shut down power to the store before tracking the source of the smoke to the microwave. There was no fire damage to the store, and patrons were allowed back in to shop within 30 to 45 minutes, Morgan said.