The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette correct all errors of fact. If you see an error in this article, please call the city desk at 843-706-8139. Corrections and clarifications will appear in this space.
Web sites may link directly to search results and individual articles without permission.
Up to one paragraph of text may be included from an article as long as full attribution is given and the attribution links back to the full article.
To republish more than one paragraph of text, please contact us for permission.
A fire that started in the attic of a two-story home in Wexford Plantation early Tuesday did minimal damage, according to the Town of Hilton Head Fire & Rescue Division.
Firefighters arrived at 5:19 a.m. at the Wexford Drive house to find smoke coming from the attic. The two people inside the home got out safely, according to spokeswoman Joheida Fister.
Firefighters contained the blaze to a space above the first-floor ceiling and the enclosure of a brick fireplace flue. It was extinguished shortly after 6 a.m., and damaged only a small part of the attic.
Faulty electrical wiring appears to be the cause, the division said.