St. Helena blaze started in fireplace

147874 articles in the archive and more added every day

St. Helena blaze started in fireplace

IslandPacket
info@islandpacket.com
Published Monday, November 19, 2012   |  97 Words  |  

A fire that started in a fireplace spread throughout a room in a St. Helena Island home Sunday, probably because of a damaged chimney, according to the Lady's Island-St. Helena Fire District.

Firefighters arrived at the home on Janette Drive at about 2:30 p.m. and contained the blaze to the room where it started, according to district spokesman Lee Levesque. Other parts of the home might have been damaged by smoke, he said.

The family escaped safely and returned to the home after the fire was extinguished, Levesque said.