Port Royal PD: Beaufort woman shot at father

147873 articles in the archive and more added every day

Port Royal PD: Beaufort woman shot at father

Published Monday, November 19, 2012   |  395 Words  |  

A Beaufort woman accused of attempted murder tried to rob her father at knifepoint late Saturday at Walmart, then shot at him while she chased him in her car, police say.

Cassandra Maura Ramos, 20, of Beaufort met her father in the parking lot of the store on Robert Smalls Parkway in northern Beaufort County, hoping to get money from him, according to the Port Royal Police Department. She pulled a knife on him, and, when he drove away, began chasing him in her car, authorities say.

Ramos then fired three shots from a .357 revolver at her father as they drove near Grober Hill Road, police said Monday.

Officers tried to pull over Ramos on Ribaut Road, but she refused to stop. The police chased her for about a half-mile, then Ramos pulled over in the Old Shell Road area near the Beaufort Naval Hospital, according to Deputy Chief Ron Wekenmann.

Police used a loudspeaker to tell her and her passenger to come out of the car with their hands up, and they complied, Wekenmann said.

In addition to attempted murder and failure to stop for blue lights, Ramos is charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm, possession of a knife in the commission of a violent crime and possession of a concealed weapon -- a set of brass knuckles, found in her purse, Wekenmann said.

She is being held for prosecution at the Beaufort County Detention Center, with bail set at more than $111,000.

Her passenger, Omar Lamont Habersham, 35, of Beaufort was charged with possession of a set of brass knuckles. His bail has been set at more than $1,000, according to the jail log.

Ramos admitted to investigators she pulled a knife and shot at her father, Wekenmann said. No one was injured. The gunfire apparently caused no property damage, he said.

Beaufort Police Chief Matt Clancy said his officers are investigating what occurred in the Walmart parking lot, which is in the city's jurisdiction, before the chase entered Port Royal. His department has not yet filed any charges, he said.

Related content