The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette correct all errors of fact. If you see an error in this article, please call the city desk at 843-706-8139. Corrections and clarifications will appear in this space.
Web sites may link directly to search results and individual articles without permission.
Up to one paragraph of text may be included from an article as long as full attribution is given and the attribution links back to the full article.
To republish more than one paragraph of text, please contact us for permission.
Arturo Chimal Guzman is accused of killing 37-year-old Federico Perez Nava during a "physical altercation" earlier Sunday, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office news release.
Nava's body was discovered at 8 a.m. in the Spanish Wells Road and Grant Drive area, Capt. Bob Bromage said in the release.
Initial reports indicated Nava, who was pronounced dead at the scene, had been shot. Later Sunday, however, both the Sheriff's Office and Beaufort County coroner Ed Allen said gunshots did not appear to be the cause of death.
Despite entry wounds on the victim's head and upper torso, there was "conflicting information" as to what caused them, Allen said.
Nava was injured when he and Guzman got into a fight, the Sheriff's Office said. The cause of the altercation has not been released.
The specific cause of Nava's death is expected to be determined today during an autopsy at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, Allen said.
Neighbors said they last saw Nava at his Grant Drive home at 3 a.m. Shortly afterward, Guzman and Nava were involved in a dispute at the scene where Nava's body was later found, the release said.
An Immigration and Customs Enforcement inquiry confirmed that neither Guzman or Nava are lawful U.S. residents, the release said.
Follow reporter Allison Stice