The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette correct all errors of fact. If you see an error in this article, please call the city desk at 843-706-8139. Corrections and clarifications will appear in this space.
Web sites may link directly to search results and individual articles without permission.
Up to one paragraph of text may be included from an article as long as full attribution is given and the attribution links back to the full article.
To republish more than one paragraph of text, please contact us for permission.
A 28-year-old Seabrook man was arrested Friday evening in connection with the shooting death Thursday of a Lady's Island man at Taylor's Mobile Home Park on Parris Island Gateway.
A second person of interest is still at large, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office news release.
Brandon Adron Singleton was arrested outside his Keans Neck Road home and charged with one count of kidnapping shooting victim Quantize Greer, 22, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Sgt. Robin McIntosh said in the release.
Investigators also identified Walter Travoy Tucker, 28, as a person of interest in the case. Tucker, also known as "Oowee," was not in custody as of late Friday night. Tucker, whose last known residence is in Florida, is wanted for unrelated charges in Georgia and should be considered armed and dangerous, McIntosh said.
Attempts to reach McIntosh late Friday to determine if other charges were pending were unsuccessful.
Greer died shortly after 2 p.m. Thursday, soon after deputies were called to the park.
Deputies believe the incident was drug-related, McIntosh said.
Singleton has been arrested 15 times in Beaufort County since 2000, according to the Beaufort County Detention Center jail log. Charges include assault and battery with intent to kill, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery and instances of kidnapping. Those charges, most of which are still pending, are from seperate cases, one in April 2008, and the other in June 2010. Singleton was also charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute in January. That charge was dismissed in February.
A search of the jail log revealed no arrests of Tucker in Beaufort County.
Greer had been arrested twice since 2010, and pleaded guilty to simple possession of marijuana.
Information was not available late Friday about why the men, none of whom were residents of the park, were there.
At least one other shooting has occurred at the mobile home park since Jan. 1, according to records from the county's dispatch center.
On March 21, a 29-year-old man was found lying in a nearby parking lot after being shot in the calf and face. He was flown to Charleston for treatment and survived. He and an 18-year-old man had been visiting a female resident of the park when three men approached and began beating the 18-year-old, according to the Sheriff's Office. The 29-year-old man ran and was shot. It was unclear late Friday if an arrest had been made in that case.
This year, deputies have responded to the park more than 200 times for other calls, from minor incidents such as abandoned cars or noise disturbances to more serious ones such as burglary and assault.
The most frequent dispatches -- 66 -- have been for serving civil court orders, such as subpoenas, judgments or evictions, according to the Sheriff's Office website.
Pam Iler, who has lived in the park for about a year and a half, said she has heard of incidents of domestic violence and theft, but has never had a problem.
"I have no complaints," she said of her neighborhood. "Most people here are really nice."
Even after the shooting, Iler said she feels safe.
"Things have happened here before, but they're not generally random crimes," she said.
Follow reporter Anne Christnovich at twitter.com/IPBG_CrimeNOB