Burton man shot during argument at mobile home park, in serious condition

147875 articles in the archive and more added every day

Burton man shot during argument at mobile home park, in serious condition

By PATRICK DONOHUE
pdonohue@beaufortgazette.com
Published Thursday, March 22, 2012   |  277 Words  |  

Authorities don't know what prompted an argument Wednesday night in Burton that led to a man getting shot in the leg and face.

Deputies were called to Taylor's Mobile Home Park on Parris Island Gateway at about 8 p.m. to reports of shots fired.

Moments later, they received reports that a 29-year-old man had been shot in the left calf and the left side of the face. He was lying in a parking lot near the mobile home park when deputies arrived. He was flown to a Charleston hospital, where on Thursday he was in serious but stable condition, according to Sgt. Robin McIntosh, Beaufort County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.

Investigators said the gunshot victim and an 18-year-old man were visiting a 23-year-old woman who lived at the trailer park when three men arrived and began arguing with them, McIntosh said.

The victims and witnesses told deputies the group of men began beating the 18-year-old. When the 29-year-old attempted to run way, he was shot multiple times by one of the suspects. He continued to run after being shot but collapsed in the parking lot of a business across the street from the mobile home park, according to authorities.

He was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital before being flown to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The 18-year-old was treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries from being beaten.

McIntosh said investigators have yet to determine a motive for the shooting and are following up on leads on the identities of the three suspects.