The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette correct all errors of fact. If you see an error in this article, please call the city desk at 843-706-8139. Corrections and clarifications will appear in this space.
Web sites may link directly to search results and individual articles without permission.
Up to one paragraph of text may be included from an article as long as full attribution is given and the attribution links back to the full article.
To republish more than one paragraph of text, please contact us for permission.
A Beaufort couple's attorney has denied they are liable for the death of a 6-year-old Beaufort boy found at the bottom of a pool during a party they hosted.
An attorney for John and Julia Sanford filed their response to a wrongful-death lawsuit brought against them in October by the family of Camilo Andres Restrepo-Lopez.
In a six-page filing, attorney Laura Evans of Charleston denied that the Sanfords failed to properly supervise the Aug. 20 pool party. The response also says the Sanfords were never told by the boy's parents that he could not swim, as the lawsuit claims.
During the party, Lopez was found at the bottom of the pool and taken to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, where he died two days later, according to the Beaufort County Coroner's Office.
No criminal charges were filed because the fatality was ruled accidental, a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said.
Lopez's family seeks actual and punitive damages.
It still is unclear who will preside over the case after Beaufort County Master in Equity Judge Marvin Dukes recused himself from the lawsuit last month, citing an unspecified conflict.
John Sanford is the brother of former Gov. Mark Sanford.
The Sanford Land Co. and the Sanford Family Partnership also are defendants in the suit. The Sanford family entities own and maintain Coosaw Plantation, where the accident took place, the lawsuit states.
Follow reporter Patrick Donohue at twitter.com/ProtectServeBft.