Shooting of would-be robber in Beaufort ruled self defense

147874 articles in the archive and more added every day

Shooting of would-be robber in Beaufort ruled self defense

By PATRICK DONOHUE
pdonohue@beaufortgazette.com
843-706-8152
Published Thursday, January 13, 2011   |  304 Words  |  

A 23-year-old Beaufort man will not be charged after foiling a burglary attempt last week by shooting one of the two armed suspects, according to city of Beaufort police.

Police Chief Matt Clancy said the man appeared to be acting in self-defense when he opened fire on Darryl James Pryor, 25, of Burton and Lucas Morgan, 24, of St. Helena Island, on Jan. 4 inside a home on Polk Street.

The incident began when four men playing video games inside the home told investigators they heard a knock at the door.

When they answered, Pryor and Lucas, one armed with a rifle and the other with a handgun, burst through the door, police said.

A guest inside the home grabbed a pistol and fired two shots at the intruders, according to a police report.

Pryor was shot once in the shoulder and later showed up at Beaufort Memorial Hospital seeking treatment.

Investigators still are unsure why Pryor and Lucas targeted the house, Clancy said.

Pryor was taken to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston and released Tuesday into the custody of the Beaufort Police Department. He was booked at the Beaufort County Detention Center where he was being held Thursday on a $50,000 bond, according the county's jail log.

He was charged with first-degree burglary, possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, unlawful carrying of a firearm and criminal conspiracy.

Lucas was charged with first-degree burglary, possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime and criminal conspiracy.

He was being held Thursday on a $30,000 bond, according to the jail log.

If convicted, Lucas and Pryor face 15 years to life in prison, according to state law.